I recently did a little searching for facts on life expectancy. The reality of life expectancy in places that are racked with war, starvation and HIV/AIDS is pretty grim. The graphic above is a map according to how long you can expect to live if you are born in a particular part of the world. Here's a link to a better version of that image.
This is a sampling of facts that I gleaned from The Harvest Fields Index and Wikipedia:
- There are 245 births and 110 deaths every minute
- 65.2% of the world's population is between 15-64
- 7.4% of the world's population is over 65
- The average life expectancy of the world's population is around 64 years
- Andorra has the highest at 83.5 years
- The US is 29th at 77.9 years
- The lowest are Lesotho at 34.47, Botswana at 33.87, and Swaziland at 33.22.
SPEAKING of life-expectancy, Happy Birthday to one who has now outlived the average person in Laos and Gabon. May you enjoy many more years of meaningful life under the sun!