- Fri nite: 82nd b-day dinner for my grandpa in Powell, WY. It was actually a pretty decent meal; I had prime rib and a baked potato. I did steal some of HH's fries (with his prime rib), and they had great fries!
- Saturday lunch:
- Black bean noodle salad with peanut sauce -- basically, I boiled up about 4 servings of whole wheat spaghetti, let it cool, and then tossed it with two carrots cut into small slices, 4 green onions, a can's worth of black beans (drained/rinsed), and a peanut sauce. I would have added peanuts if I had them. The first peanut sauce wasn't the best, so I added more later using this recipe (except I subbed ginger for garlic and added sriracha hot sauce). This would make a great summer BBQ salad and will definitely be revisited this summer!
- We also had some leftover chicken breast and no-knead bread from last Sunday, so I turned it into sandwiches. I baked the sandwiches in the oven with mozarella cheese and made a spread using laughing cow cheese, pesto and mashed up asparagus. Again, a keeper flavor-combo!
- "Other" Saturday cooking/baking. I made honey wheat bread using the recipe off of the King Arthur flour bag (I can't find it online, sorry, but it's become my go-to bread recipe). I also made granola following inspiration from here. I only made one change, because I didn't have coconut, so I added an extra 1/2 cup of oats. In the future, I might see if I could substitute apple juice for half of the oil, just because it seems like a lot of oil, and I'll probably use only 1/2 tsp of salt. I used coarse sea salt and if I'm eating it plain, it gives it kind of a cool salty burst, but if I'm eating it on yogurt, as I did this morning ... well, let me just say that salty yogurt is somewhat gag-reflex-inducing.
If you're at all interested in making your own granola, though, do try this recipe -- it's super simple and another way to get your whole grains!
- HH made french toast for us for lunch
- I had a McD's cone when I had to do an emergency run to pick up HH and a friend from a biking expedition. They were about 10 miles out of town when the friend's tire went flat and they were missing one of the tools they needed to fix it. And while I was driving around in that hot sun, I just started craving soft serve. McD's to the rescue!
- Dinner was sliced leftover prime rib over a salad with a lime vinagrette dressing (lime, onion, olive oil and salt). HH put his prime rib into a quesadilla -- yum! We also needed to eat up an avocado and so mashed it up with cilantro, green onion, red onion and lime juice into a really choppy/rough guacamole. Oh, man, I could eat avocado every day ... I practically do!
Sunday, May 17, 2009
Since much of my life revolves around eating, here's my report of "what I did this weekend" from the foodie perspective: